Friday 7 October 2016

Six Months On


Charlotte Galadriel, 22/09/2016 - six months

I never imagined how quickly six months could pass. It has been the most incredible six months of my life. Of course, they've also been the most tiring and heartbreaking. Going from working twenty hours a week to being responsible for a human life 24/7 is a pretty huge leap. But I wouldn't swap it for anything in the world. Offer me a million pounds on a silver platter and I'd politely decline.

Being able to grow and carry this child for nine months was such a pleasure. Breastfeeding has allowed us to continue this bond, using my body to help grow hers. Our lactation journey has been fraught with obstacles, but I'm so happy with the balance we've found between my milk and supplemental formula. Spending time with a bottle has taught Charlotte to thrive away from her mumma, allowing more bonding time with her father. It's also given her more opportunity to explore the world around her, as quicker feeding times provide more time for play. 

It's been wonderful watching her learn to use her body. The delight on her face when she first learnt to roll was astounding. The same look comes onto her face whenever she learns a new skill, but amplified each time as it earns her the ability to better explore the confusing world around her more. She sits, rolls, crawls, cruises: each skill pleases her more than the last. I relish in watching her reach objects that were previously out of her reach (before quickly picking her up and moving the offending item: usually baby wipes). Even as I write this Charlotte is cruising holding onto the sofa, attempting to look over at me and get as close as she can. A look round from me prompts the most incredible smile.

I hope the next six months pass a little slower so that I can appreciate them more. The drawback of having an adventurous baby is that we didn't get to experience enough of those tranquil, still newborn cuddles. Charlotte has only just let me start nursing her in cradle hold again: something she refused for months. I'm determined to make the most of it this time, even if it only lasts as long as her teething does. 

Here's to the next six, baby girl 


No comments:

Post a Comment